Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Keeping a Photo Diary
A lot of people try and find ways of documenting their lives, most seem to write in their diaries or journals. I have chosen a different approach which I have found to be very satisfying-- I take a photo of myself every day doing whatever it is that I am doing.
I started doing this on January 1, 2007, and stopped after a while only to have just recently picked this back up. There are some days in my photo diary that have a photo of me doing something really cool, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity sort of stuff, but my absolute favorites are the ones of me doing the everyday sort of things.
There are a couple of things to keep in mind while keeping a photo diary:
1. Keep camera batteries charged.
2. Don't wait until the end of the day. Otherwise you will end up with lots of pictures of you brushing your teeth!
3. Learn not to be embarrassed taking your own picture doing normal things.
4. Include your friends. One day it will be great to see all the people in your life.
5. Give your photos names to help you remember locations, etc.
As a tip, I got a a Joby GorillaPod tripod for my digital camera. These little things are great, as they are very small, and can be wrapped around almost anything to have a picture taken for you on a timer.
What I have found to be really great about this as well is that I always seem to have a camera handy. We have all had moments where we said that we wished we had a camera with us for when something incredible happens. For example, the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile pulls up next to you! :)