Sunday, September 28, 2008

Fußball Brötchen mit Nutella!

Sometimes it really is the small things that excite me about being in a different country.  I went to the grocery store yesterday, a store called Real that is really great, because it is huge, and they have everything that you could imagine.  I was there with my roommate Melli, and we were getting our usual shopping done, when I went to the bakery section, because baked goods in Germany are absolutely the best, and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw bread called Fußball Brötchen!  Now, I know that most people are aware that outside of the US, the rest of the world is soccer crazy, but this was bread that was shaped like a soccer ball, which pretty much amazed me, and of course I bought a pack of 3 freshly baked "soccer breads".  
My favorite bread here in Germany is of course Pretzels . . . the big soft kind.  The fußball brötchen was great because it is the same kind of bread that a pretzel is made out of but just a big fluffy piece of it.  What makes it even better is a bit of Nutella.  If you don't know what Nutella is, it is a nutty chocolate spread.  It is pretty expensive in the US, but here in Germany it is the staple for any snack.  Nutella on waffles, on apples, and of course on my fußball brötchen.  As you can tell, I am having an exciting week, and I just wanted to share my good find!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simple pleasures :) YUM - that looks delicious!!

Anonymous said...

i love nutella!!